A few months ago I wrote an article in which I went against many of my colleagues who were touting the benefits of grounding or earthing technologies because I felt like I was “plugged” into the grid and it was disturbing my precious sleep. I promised to do more research and report back to you.
Before I dive in to what I’ve since discovered about grounding technology, I think it’s really important for you to understand why being exposed to EMFs (which we all are) can be detrimental to your health and some of the common symptoms associated with EMF sensitivity.
How are you exposed to EMFs?
Frankly, we’re being bombarded with EMFs:
- Power lines and home wiring
- Mobile phone base stations
- Microwaves and other household appliances
- Cordless Phones
- Cell Phones
- Computers and iPads
- WiFi signals
- SMART meters
What are the possible hazards of EMFs on your health?
Mounting evidence shows ongoing exposure to EMFs may, especially in children, increase the risk of developing:
- Brain tumors
- Chronic Fatigue
- Memory problems
- Chest pain and/or heart problems
What are possible symptoms of EMF sensitivity?
Dr. Joseph Mercola published a great article back in June 21, 2008 which lists possible symptoms of EMF sensitivity.
Here’s an excerpt from that article listing the possible effects of Electromagnetic Hypersensitivity Syndrome (EHS) :
The five most common symptoms of electromagnetic hypersensitivity are:
- skin itch/rash/flushing/burning, and/or tingling
- confusion/poor concentration, and/or memory loss
- fatigue and weakness
- chest pain and heart problems
Less commonly reported symptoms include:
- panic attacks
- ear pain/ringing in the ears
- feeling a vibration
Let’s get down to the business of grounding – or not grounding…
It’s been a real dilemma, this whole grounding thing. Do I get on the bandwagon, like so many of my respected colleagues have done, and recommend expensive sheets you plug into your grounded outlet in your home or do I stay in integrity and state my truth, which is “I feel like I’m getting zapped while I’m sleeping on these sheets”?
I decided at the time that, rather than remove the grounding sheets (which we had spent over $150.00 on) completely off of our bed, I’d simply unplug them from the ground-plug and see if I felt any difference. It was, it turned out, a rather intuitive move on my part.
At the same time I was determined to do more research on the whole subject.
As luck or fate or Divine timing would have it, my favorite online radio show, One Radio Network, recently interviewed Dave Stetzer on “The Difference Between Grounding the Body and Discharging Energy — They Are Not the Same”. You’ll find the link to this interview at the end of this article. Give it a listen – it’ll help you understand why discharging toxic EMFs is SO important to your health and vitality.
I was relieved to find out it wasn’t my imagination that after the first few minutes on my grounding sheet I felt “plugged” into the grid! Initially perhaps, the EMFs are pulled from the body and out the grounding plug outlet when you’re on a grounding sheet or mat with silver threading running through it, but after only a few minutes – if not seconds – it turns out that benefit is replaced by the earth feeding EMFs back into you.
Mr. Stetzer explains how and why that happens much more eloquently than I could ever hope to do, so I’d rather leave it up to you to listen to the interview if you’re like me and like to know the “science” behind things. What I’d rather spend our time today on is letting you know what you can do to discharge EMFs, which is where things really get exciting anyway!
3 Inexpensive solutions to discharging EMFs – that works in seconds:
- Every few hours during the day, step away from your computer or other electronic devices, slip off your shoes and step onto a mat-sized piece of aluminum foil.
- Within no more than a minute this simple trick completely discharges pent-up EMFs from your entire body.
- However, don’t use the aluminum foil mat under your feet when you’re on electronic devices because then it works like an antenna – causing you to absorb more charge, not less (which is what grounding technologies claim is happening – but it’s seems to actually have the opposite effect – yikes!)
- Have a nice warm bath with about 1 cup of Epsom salts stirred in. The salt in the water discharges EMFs, which is why going into the ocean makes you feel so great. Mr. Stetzer didn’t suggest this next piece but, if you’re not a bath type person, try simply soaking your feet in an Epsom salt foot bath in the evening while you’re relaxing.
- I’ve been recommending Epsom salt baths as one of my 5 Zees to a Great Night’s Sleep for ages because it’s one of the most effective ways to improve your quality and quantity of sleep. My guess is this is one of the reasons why – it’s actually discharging EMFs, which in turn helps you sleep!
- If you’re one of those people who is on your iPad, etc. checking out Facebook or emails before you go to sleep at night (which I’m not a fan of for several reasons that I share in my 5 Zees to a Great Night’s Sleep audio program – which, as a subscriber, you can download here), when you’re ready to go to sleep take a moment to do the following:
- Completely power down all your electronic devices, including your cell phone (be sure to put your Wi-Fi on a timer so it’s powered down too).
- Have a piece of aluminum foil beside your bed and just step onto it for a few seconds to discharge.
- Hop back into bed and enjoy a better night’s sleep than you’ve had in perhaps a very long time!
Here’s the link to One Radio Network’s interview with Dave Stetzer. You might even want to do what we do, download it onto your iPod or a CD and listen to it while you’re in the car on your way to and from work or running errands.