Wild Rice Salad by Patti Harris
- 1 ½ cups bloomed wild rice*
- 10 stalks asparagus, chopped into thin rounds or on the diagonal
- (if asparagus is not in season use sugar/snap peas instead)
- 1 ½ cups shitake mushrooms, de-stemmed and sliced
- 1 ½ cups broccoli, chopped into small pieces
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup Nama Shoyu
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 1 large clove garlic, pressed
- 1 inch of ginger root, finely diced
- ¼ tsp red chili pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
To make bloomed rice
- ¾ cup uncooked wild rice
- 2 ½ cups pure water
- ½ tsp good salt
- Glass jar with tight fitting lid
Put the rice, water and salt in the jar and make sure the lid is on very tight. Put it in the de-hydrator for 24 hours at 105 degrees.
Once the rice is bloomed drain it well and put in a large bowl. Add the chopped asparagus, mushrooms, broccoli and red bell pepper and toss.
Put the remaining ingredients into a jar and shake well. Taste to make sure that the garlic and ginger are very pronounced if not then add a little bit more. Pour the dressing on the rice salad and let marinade for at least one hour.
Serves 6 as a side dish.